ACUTE CARDIAC CARE COURSE - Conducted jointly by: Health Ed Professionals P/Ltd & OSCA Health Education®
COURSE DELIVERY DATES:
The course is delivered in intensive mode over 5-6 days and is equivalent to a 10CP (or one semester) tertiary course in teaching and study time.
These courses are held twice annually on the Gold Coast, and annually at Caboolture to coincide with the winter and summer semester university breaks. Many of enrolments are from undergraduate nursing students, as well as registered nurses and paramedics who want to do the courses for professional development or towards their post-graduate studies.
- Caboolture: Next date to be arranged for early 2018
- *Gold Coast: Monday 4th to Saturday 9th December 2017
COURSE TIMES: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm daily.
Gold Coast venue: tentative, subject to change
The course lectures for the Gold Coast course will be located at the Gold Coast Institute of Tafe (GCIT) SOUTHPORT CAMPUS.
This is located on the corner of Nerang and Scarborough Streets (North-East corner), Southport.
Street address is 91-99 Scarborough Street Southport.
Block K, Queensland University of Technology, Tallon Street Caboolture
BENEFITS OF THE COURSE
- • The course is fully accredited with Griffith University and Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
- • Choose your level of assessment: professional development only, undergraduate or post graduate
- • Increase your knowledge and confidence in assessing and managing patients experiencing acute cardiac conditions, including Acute Coronary Syndrome, cardiac arrest, heart failure, and pulmonary oedema.
- • Develop greater knowledge and confidence in recognizing reading and interpreting 12 lead ECGs.
- • Recognise the difference between a STEMI and a NSTEACS on a 12 lead ECG • Strengthen your knowledge in recognizing and managing basic and advanced cardiac arrhythmias including AF, SVT and Heart Block and lethal arrhythmias (VT & VF)
- • Increase your knowledge of cardiac pharmacology, (Vaughn Williams classifications) types of drugs and why they are used.
- • Develop greater understanding about the cardiac “Cath Lab”: nursing care and management (pre and post care) for patients suffering an acute cardiac episode — PCI.
- • Enjoy learning with expert clinical nurse educators who provide a friendly and supportive teaching and learning environment that will assist you to increase your knowledge and confidence in managing care for acute cardiac patients.
- This course can provide you with an ideal way to improve your confidence and clinical practice skills!
CREDIT, ENDORSEMENT, & ACCREDITATION:
This course receives the following credits and accreditation:
- Griffith University
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT) pending, please contact us.
WHO CAN ENROL?
- • All RNs & EENs : general ward, practice nurses, or community nurses wanting to upgrade their current cardiac care knowledge.
- • Student nurses: Bachelor of Nursing ** Diploma of Nursing **
- • Other health professionals (paramedics) working in acute care.
- • Overseas (non resident) undergraduate and post graduate studies.
Note: Enrolment Eligibility
If you are unsure about your eligibility, please call to see if you are eligible to do the course. Undergraduate Bachelor of Nursing student nurses will have completed first semester, second year clinical and pathophysiology courses.
Diploma of Nursing students will be enrolled in their final semester of their program.
MORE BENEFITS OF THE COURSE:
- • Direct “face to face” teaching by highly experienced nurse educators.
- • A clinically relevant course.
- • All course notes and resources.
- • • Certificate of Achievement.
- • Grading transcript for credit application to tertiary pro-grams.
- • Friendly, supportive and flexible teaching and learning environment.
The course is offered using multiple assessment streams to provide the best opportunity for students to access credit into other formal tertiary health care programs.
Students can choose from four levels of assessment:
Non – Assessment Stream:
- 1. Professional Development: Attendance Only
Fully Assessed — Tertiary Standard:
- 2. Undergraduate Level
- 3. Graduate Certificate Level
- 4. Masters Level
THE HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEACHING TEAM:
Ms. Anne Evans-Murray & Ms. Heather James
The course is taught by Ms. Heather James and Ms. Anne Evans-Murray who are highly experienced and qualified clinical nurse educators and nurse academics. Both Anne and Heather have worked extensively throughout Australia and internationally in New Zealand and Asia. They teach a broad range of clinical nursing topics including acute nursing practices, high dependency, coronary and critical care, emergency nursing, clinical teaching and learning, curriculum development, evidence based practice, and professional counselling courses to a broad range of health professionals. Their collaborative, supportive teaching approach encourages students to develop greater clinical knowledge and confidence and most importantly, the ability to apply this knowledge to clinical practice.
COURSE COST 2017 - GOLD COAST
Registered or Enrolled Nurse: $1525
Overseas students: $1650
Undergraduate (Domestic) Student: $795
COURSE COST 2017 CABOOLTURE
Registered or Enrolled Nurse: $1525
Overseas students: $1650
F/T Undergraduate (Domestic) students $$820
(Evidence of undergraduate student status must be provided with enrolment, e.g. student transcript copy)
Places are not confirmed until payment either in full, or 15% minimum non-refundable deposit is received. The balance is then due 21 days prior to the course commencement date.
- Health Ed Professionals, PO Box 746, Ashmore City Q 4214, or
- OSCA Health Education, PO Box 4175, Ashmore Plaza, Ashmore Q 4214 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The course is offered using multiple assessment streams to provide the best opportunity for students to access credit into other formal tertiary health care programs. There are two assessment pieces:
1. Assignment (at either undergraduate or masters level). A cardiac topic is given on the first day.
The written examination is held several weeks after completion of the intensive study week. Exam dates will be discussed by the convenors during the study week (alternative dates offered) allowing the student adequate time to study. Support is given during the course with many examples of exam questions. An exam review with discussion and exam hints are given on the final day of the course. Students from remote areas may elect to do their exam locally.
Phone enquiries during business hours only please:
Anne Evans-Murray: Mobile 0412452950
Heather James: Mobile 0407135332
Refunds and Cancellations
We reserve the right to cancel an event up to 14 days prior to the event if registrations numbers are insufficient to make the event financially viable. In the unlikely event this happens a full refund will be made to registrants. Cancellations by registrants 30 days prior to events will receive a re-fund less 15% administrative costs. Cancellations less than 30 days but more than 14 days will receive a 50% refund. Cancellations less than 14 days of event no refunds. All efforts will be made to ensure that the advertised speakers present at our events or a speaker of similar standard is substituted if they are unavailable on the day because of unforeseen circumstances.
If certificates are lost because you have given an incorrect address, or failed to advise us of a change of address then there is a $20.00 fee to reproduce your certificate and re send it to the corrected address. This item is listed at the bottom of the online registration form. You will need to indicate your course name and date in the comments section of the form when submitting your application.
Evaluation comments from past students:
This course has received positive feedback from previous students for many years.
"I just loved this course. I think it should be a mandatory course at the university".
"I learnt so much, I am so excited that I am an undergraduate and I can read 12 lead ECGs and life threatening arrhythmias".
"Heather and Anne are just so passionate about the lectures, we all had such fun".
"Wish all my subjects were over a week like this, I now have less work to do next year as I used this course as an elective for my university course".
"Thanks Anne and Heather, the course was fantastic".
"I am a Registered Nurse in the Coronary Care Unit, I have learnt so much about ECGs, cardiac disorders and rhythms. I feel so much more confident at work. I also found doing the course over one week suited me better rather than over a long semester".
Attendance attracts 45 CNE (Continuing Nursing Education points).